Monday, November 21, 2011

Free Range Turkeys

 Out on route 1, there's a free range turkey farm.  Free range in this case means a large chicken wired enclosure, covered by a ramshackle tarp, and trapped therein are what look to be hundreds of white birds, just about able to move, with the ones pressed to the fence seeming to mouth "help me, help me" to passing motorists.  I am not buying my turkey there.  I'm buying my free range turkey from a free range farm I cannot see ,except in my imagination, where colourful birds with their tails fanned out are playing with pilgrim children while pilgrim mothers and fathers look on contentedly.  A Penobscot Nation chief smokes a peacepipe and all the corn in the field waves and waves to me as I drive by.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment